Pages

August 2015 Part 1

Tuesday, July 5

We had a busy Sunday as Dad and I attended church in the Goijeong Branch. We each spoke in Sacrament Meeting, along with our two new missionaries(after Transfer Day). Sister Kim Yeonseob didn’t let on that she had cut her hand in the morning so after we looked at it we told her she had to leave, then, to go to the hospital for stitches. They came back to finish the meeting block after receiving four stitches. No big deal to her/no complaints! Elder Kim Juyoon (violin player) was going home Monday/ not at the regular transfer time because of college in the States/ going home to Korea first/quick turn around. So Dad and I made a nice pasta dinner for the office missionaries and all. It took us a few hours of cooking in the kitchen together but it reminded me of my days of working at Brick Oven. I would go home from working there as a hostess and take a shower to wash off all the pizza on me that I could smell. I felt like I was covered in pasta because I could smell it on me/in my hair and clothes. As soon as dinner was over the office elder called the airport to check on a flight coming from America. It arrived early!! We hustled to the airport to pick up Elder Stoker was waiting at the airport for us so we just drove up to the curb without even parking! That was the most efficient (time wise) of the missionaries we have picked up at the airport. I will send more pictures to go with that. We went straight home and got Elder Stoker some dinner to eat before going to bed. He was exhausted from traveling so long, plus we had an early day the next day.


We had to leave by 6:30AM this morning to get Elder Kim Juyoon to the train station to go home. It was nice to have him play some music on his violin as we waited for his train to arrive. That was a first! Back at the mission office Dad was busy with many interviews as he juggled missionary assignments for the outgoing and incoming missionaries. It was great to have Elder Stoker come back to our mission after going home for an ankle injury. It was especially good to have him come back after unexpectedly sending home three other missionaries last month. He’s a great missionary! 

Our RS lesson was from the First Presidency Message in the August 2015Liahona/Ensign. Here are a few quotes from the lesson. It reminded me of two different experiences; one that I had over two years ago which I wrote to Alex about when he was on his mission and the other was from Kenzie’s mission. I’ll include those as well. August 2015 Ensign First Presidency Message: I would like all of the youth of the Church to know that they are children of light. As such, they have a responsibility to be "as lights in the World" (Philippians 2:15). They have a duty to share the truths of the gospel. They have a calling to stand as a temple beacon, reflecting gospel light to an increasingly dark world. They have a charge to keep their light aflame and burning brightly. Among the most effective ways to gain and keep the faith we need today is to read and study the scriptures and to pray frequently and consistently. Without these two essential practices, outside influences and the sometimes-harsh realities of life can dim or even extinguish your light. But as you read and pray and as you serve and obey, you will come to know better "the light which shineth in darkness" (D&C 6:21), our Exemplar and our strength? even the Lord Jesus Christ. He is the Light we are to hold up to dispel the gathering darkness (see 3 Nephi 18:24).As you follow the example of the Savior, yours will be the opportunity to be a light, as it were, in the lives of those around you ?whether they be members of your own family, classmates, co-workers, mere acquaintances, or total strangers. When you are a light to the world, people around you will feel a special spirit that will make them want to associate with you and follow your example. And may you always walk in truth and stand as a light among God’s children. A woman spoke in church about her conversion back in October. She had a friend at work send the missionaries to her home. At first she thoughts he didn't have time, didn't want to offend the friend but wasn't interested...without really knowing what it was about. Once she received the Book of Mormon, and read Moroni 10:3-5, it took her one week to read the whole book. She was impressed with the people in the Book of Mormon who were able to choose between good and evil daily, who prayed, lived by faith daily- participating, taking action. She was impressed with members of the church today who do the same; live by faith so deep and so real that they are moved to tears. She quotes President Uchtdorf: "When we have integrity and live consistently by our standards, people notice. When we radiate joy and happiness, they notice even more. "From Kenzie’s mission letter: I had an intense experience as we were knocking doors. We passed a man on the street when I felt that we needed to talk to him. My companion spoke and he rejected the message, not wanting to doubt the feeling I spoke and felt that the words were not my own. I testified of his need of this message of the importance of repentance and active participation with the atonement of the Lord. Again the man rejected us but he looked at me and asked what was making me shine. HE went on to explain that there was a feeling of love so strong that he could feel it shining out of me. I was at a loss for words but told him he could have this in his life as my eyes began to well up with tears, again he rejected us but he has a pass-a-long card and I believe he will call the number. 

Early in the week we attended a zone conference where our darling Sister Kim Yeonseob drew a few missionaries on the marker board. Wednesday morning Dad and I drove to where the Ulsan District had their Youth Conference. Dad spoke about what you carry in your Spiritual backpack; rocks(that we got from the side of a road), a snake(Sister Lee found a rubber snake for Dad to use), a headlamp(like the one the young woman in the picture is wearing), etc. I was surprised that this young woman did not want me to send this picture of her to her phone. She did a great job standing up there while Dad spoke. Oh well! The roads were so windy and narrow, causing a three way traffic jam where you had to be careful not to slide off the road down the hill. It took me a few minutes after Dad stopped driving for my stomach to settle. Sister Hill and Sister Ha Dokyung were so happy and cheerful that their attitude rubbed off on the lady from the restaurant where we ate lunch after the morning session of zone conference. We sent a copy of the picture to the restaurant lady.  So now the Hogye Sisters have her phone number. Yea! I forgot to take a picture of the bean sprouts soup we all ate. Luckily Sister Hill was sitting at our table to give me a heads up about picking out the seafood/chopped up octopus. Dad got an extra helping from me. When the ceramic bowl was placed in front of us the soup was still boiling hot, and we were given partially cooked eggs to slide into the bowl and stir around real quick to continue the cooking process.


I love the smile on Elder Lee Sanglim’s face after the baptism was complete. Happy Day!



I loved this Korean woman’s hat and outfit. She is a farmer so she has the missionaries come to her farm one day each week to help work her farm. I think she has horses and cows they have helped with. This other woman, Wendy Bellevue, is great! Wendy has been in Korea for two years teaching English but is moving back to Boston, MA in about a week. I was able to help the sister missionaries teach Wendy during Gospel Principles class, and then longer, after. We read from JSH about Joseph Smith and the First Vision. She said "I can believe this, and asked lots of questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment