Pages

Dogye area and lots of missionary interviews!!

Thursday, August 27

Every corner of the intersection was decorated with this huge "horses" block.



Thinking of Papa when we saw that 76 sticker!



Friday was a busy day of interviews starting with the missionaries in Dogye. The we arrived before the elders, who had the key to open up the church. The sisters arrived next, so Dad started the interviews with one of them I our car while the other and I sat and talked right outside the car. With each of the missionaries being interviewed I have tried to take their individual picture somehow. At one building I had gone outside to receive a phone call from the area medical advisor, and as I was walking around to the back of the building I saw a tiny little flowerbed with a splash of purple flowers. In other interviewing buildings I just used the blah boring white background of a classroom cement wall. One of our missionaries wasn’t feeling well so I wasn’t able to get an individual picture of him (just a group shot). We traveled to another building for the afternoon interviews and were greeted with some of our missionaries and their ward mission leader along with his son. The leader wanted to take us out to eat for lunch, though we were arriving just on time to start the scheduled interviews. He took us to eat at a restaurant which specializes in serving dog meat. GROSS!!  I didn’t make a gig fuss, though everyone knew I didn’t want to try it. I ate one piece of the meat (riddled with fat and stringy). I ate some of the strings/fibers of vegetables in the dish, and some broth with the rice, but I just didn’t want to keep eating even just the plain rice. Bleah!!!!! It made me not hungry/wanting to eat anymore! One thing that bothered me (which I verbalized) was that I felt on display with everybody in the restaurant (outdoor seating) staring at me/watching me eat/every move! I’m glad the weather was nice enough for us to sit outside and not SWEAT into a melted heap! As we were taking our shoes off before stepping onto the platform I could smell a faint odor like Scout after a bath (you know what I mean=wet dog!). Dog meat in Korean is gae gogi but the dish they eat all the time which has dog meat is called bo shin tang.





We came home yesterday evening from interviews to find Sister Lee  preparing two huge bags of garlic bulbs for future use(I wish I had taken a picture interesting how she keeps the long stalk/stem on the bulb saying it is possible for more nutrients to be absorbed and for the bulb  to grow bigger).  At least I took this picture wonder what kind of spicy food she is preparing for today’s meal after MLCM?!

Just driving by one of the police stations on the way to church today.  






Monday we took a missionary to the train station to go home early from his mission. This elder hurt his knee playing soccer about five weeks ago, was seen by a doctor but told to wait for a couple of weeks before determining if he needed a MRI done or not, and it happened again over more time. It was very frustrating for him. It was very frustrating for us. This elder had been one of our office elders when we first arrived in Korea, so we knew him better than we know most of the other missionaries. This elder is wonderful, very hard working, and will be missed. It was a sad day for us. These pictures are of Elder Kunde and Dad, through an infrared camera that was set up at the train station. When we entered the train station Elder Kunde noticed this camera that was set up near the entrance, with many wires attached and a couple of officials posted there looking at the screen carefully. We went over there to ask why the camera was set up and found out that anybody who enters with a fever will be detected and evicted immediately; MERS scare/testing. The other day Dad and I walked home by way of the police academy as a woman was entering the grounds for a visit. Before going any further she had to be tested, by taking her temperature in her ear, by the guard. Tuesday was another sad day for us as we took another missionary to the airport to finish his mission early and fly back home, by his choice. Dad worked so hard to have him stay on his mission. Dad spent so many hours talking to this elder, then talking with his parents, talking with the IFR (In Field Representative) who is stationed in New Zealand working for the church dealing with Salt Lake and this area of the world in particular, talking with the area president, talking with the elder’s stake president back home, and talking with the elder many times throughout all these other conversations. This has been going on for months, spending as many as 20 hours a week on this missionary and one other, besides all his regular responsibilities. Dad was compassionate as he worked so hard to keep him on his mission. It made me wonder how prepared does a missionary need to be before he goes on his mission? How are parents helping or not helping prepare their child to live away from home? What is the responsibility of the bishop in the application process and even before then? What responsibility does a doctor have in probing/asking in depth questions before signing off on the medical forms?

No comments:

Post a Comment