Pages

November 2014

Sunday, August 9

Sister Lee was getting her face painted when we arrived at our ward Halloween party. She made a big pot of pumpkin soup for the ward members to eat during the dinner portion of the ward party. She used the remaining pumpkin puree that she made from the pumpkins Elder Min brought to us to boil down to make something yummy. I took some of the puree to make pumpkin muffins with a caramel glaze on top. So good. I got the recipe from Sister Rebecca Leland years ago ‘do you remember her? She was the Primary president in the Sugar Land 3rd ward and I was one of her counselors.

At this station a missionary took peoples picture. I don’t know what they did with the photos on that camera but I’m glad I got one with my phone camera. It was interesting for me to watch as a family got their picture taken. The mother and the college age daughter each smiled like they were having fun. The father stood there with a serious look on his face. Today, after Sacrament meeting, a man asked for all the office missionaries and our family to stand in a photo together with him and his wife. This same man who wouldn’t smile at the Halloween party told us all to smile for this picture, today! Koreans love to take pictures and to have their picture taken.



We saw this older woman pushing a stroller to collect whatever her treasures are. I have not asked about the older people we see collecting cardboard, using a bike or a stroller or a wheelbarrow type contraption. But I’m curious as to why they collect cardboard and where they take it and who pays them to collect it? It makes me think of seeing older people sweeping the street in front of their home or business using a whimsy/flimsy type of a broom that would take so long to make any kind of a noticeable difference. It is nothing compared to using a push broom. There seems to be made up jobs for everyone to be able to work. We frequent the gas station across the street from the mission office. The sign there says Self-Serve but the owner often comes out and pumps the gas for Dad. Interestingly, about half the time when the man is finished pumping the gas he hands Dad a small package of napkins (maybe it’s to wipe your hands after you pump your own gas but he pumps it for his customers).  Catch 22.



We had our transfer day meeting, where the returning missionaries shared their testimonies and combined their talents in a hymn.  Our office senior couple did a marvelous job of speaking.  The time was long gone so Dad had me stand up front with him, tears trickling down my cheeks and snuffles held back.  He asked if I was ok (if you remember how he always asks me that when I cry during church meetings) and I gave him my “look”.  Neither one of us had to give our talks so that will be for another day.
We are back to just two assistants to the president and no threesome with sister missionaries.  Our numbers are down a bit.  We have nine sisters going home/staying in our home tonight.  Ben gives up his room again and will be sleeping on our floor.  Only two sisters are coming in tomorrow and staying here with us.

I liked this quote by Neal A. Maxwell, someone sent to me:  “A major point about joy is that joy is obviously of a higher order than mere pleasure.  Pleasure is perishable.  It has a short shelf life.  Joy, on the other hand, is lasting.  It involves the things that really matter, such as being forgiven and forgiving another.”

All the outgoing missionaries have arrived and the evening meal is about to begin.  Sister Lee prepared an authentic Korean dinner for them.  One of the Korean sisters is helping me set the table, asking me about which side to put the chopsticks and long handles spoon.  I don’t know if I’m doing it right!


No comments:

Post a Comment