Pages

Jar of paper stars!

Sunday, August 9

During our most recent round of interviews with the missionaries we traveled to Daegu to meet at the church building there. On the way to the church we saw this skinny building. I was amazed at how skinny it was(if you notice it is just slightly wider than the width of a door). The building must be just one long hallway. I don’t know what the inside looks like but I can only imagine.




During our recent interviews we met at the Gumi building one of the days. It is hard to tell but we arrived to this building driving up the left side of the picture. The angle to enter the parking lot is so tight that Dad had to drive forward toward the left (where the woman is-after she moved of course!) and then back the car into the parking lot. If you notice the car parking on the right (just parallel to the gate) there is a smashed orange cone beside the rear tire. We did know know this information before bit as Dad and I were talking with one of our assistants he told us that all Korean cars have their phone number posted on the windshield for you to contact them BECAUSE most cars park in front of gates and builds, blocking other cars or entrances?, it is just such common practice that they provide contact information. More than once we needed to know that in order to not walk down the street and around the block from our church buildings. Dad can drive through ANYWHERE? while I hold my breath in fear of scraping the side of the car!



Two Sundays ago Dad, Ben, and I attended the Yeonsan ward where Sister Patton is serving. She surprised me with this jar filled with paper stars that she made for me. The stars are so tiny that I don’t know how she could form the paper to make them and also put them in the jar without smashing them. I wonder how much time it took for her to make those? Niki, Sister Patton and Sister Dayley say  “hello" to you. Also, Arlene, the woman whose house you went to, was there and asked about you. Everyone here misses you! I had the opportunity to speak in that Sacrament Meeting. I happen to pay more closely attention to the Teachings of the Presidents of the church manual because this years focus is on President Ezra Taft Benson. I remember President Benson well and shared an experience from our days at BYU. It was when Steven was born and Bear was staying with us to help. Bear and I attended our stake women’s conference on a Saturday, on campus.  Our stake president was Reed Benson, the son of Ezra Taft Benson. This was in February 1989. I remember President Benson’s health being so poor that he was in a wheelchair.(After reading the historical portion of the new manual I realized President Benson no longer spoke at general conferences after October 1988 because of his poor health.) I remember how surprised we were when a hush fell over the room and in came President Benson being pushed in his wheelchair. Everyone stood up to show respect to the prophet. We could all feel the love President Benson had for each of us as well as the love that he had for the Lord, and the love of the Lord. What a precious experience that was/treasured memory. During last weeks interviews I was surprised to hear one of our missionaries say that he has already read half of the Presidents manual/he just loves it!






Last week when we had interviews I looked at a few missionaries photo albums (I had done this previously so I really hadn’t thought of asking/looking but a couple of missionaries brought it to my attention that they forgot to bring their album last time so I could look at it now). I was happy to find another picture of Elder Billy Barnes with one of our missionaries when she was young. Sister Kim Yeonseob is the girl down in front in the middle wearing a striped shirt. Sister Kim is 22 years old right now. I don’t remember what years Billy served his mission in Seoul. Sister Kim does not remember him but Billy may recognize her and/or the youth in the picture.

Sister Kim Yeonseob holding her photo album with the picture showing including Billy Barnes. Sister in the second photo is the girl on the right in the pink and black strips. Her mother is the lady on the left side of the photo.



No comments:

Post a Comment