Pages

More from our Japan Trip November 2016

Tuesday, May 16

I loved the simple centerpiece decoration in the center of the tables around the room.  I love Fall colors!  But I also liked the picture of Christ with His mother titled Mother, by Liz Lemon Swindle.  Here are her own words about this painting:

"I remember the first time I was left alone with my newborn. The overwhelming feeling of love accompanied by the fear of caring for this little soul. As I grow older I see that there is a natural reversal of roles and the child becomes the caregiver for the parent. I think this reversal was part of Mary’s relationship with her Son.

She cared for Him as a helpless infant, watching him grow in stature with God and man. She watched as the crowds cheered His entry into Jerusalem, only to see them lift Him upon the cross a few days later. Her heart must have longed to heal His pains, but it was He who looked down with perfect love and said, motioning to John, "Woman, behold thy son!"

As our children grow, we draw great comfort in their concern for us. Their kindnesses forged in the furnace of our earlier devotions. I wanted this painting to show the love the Savior had for His mother and the feeling that every mother can find comfort and safety in His arms.”

As I looked this painting up on line I came across this quote of reflections on the life of his mother, from the son of Liz Lemon Swindle, Steevun Lemon:

"Of all the lessons my mother taught me, perhaps the one that has made the biggest difference has been her faith that after we have done all that we can do, God will make up the difference.

She taught me this from a very young age. I remember when I was 7 years old, I awoke one night from a bad dream. Like any scared child, I wanted my mother, and I knew just where to find her. I walked down the hall to the old storage room where she painted. When I opened the door, she was there, hunched over her easel. When she saw me, she put down her brush, picked me up and kissed me. Her voice was all the comfort I needed, and I fell asleep in her arms.

At the time, I didn’t think much of my mother’s late-night painting. That was just what she did. A couple of years later, I was at my friend’s house and got curious. I was opening all the doors in the basement, and when his mother asked me what I was doing, I replied with my own question, “Where’s your easel?”
“My what?”
“Your easel.”
“I don’t have an easel.”
“Then where do you paint at night?” I asked.

Up until that point, I had assumed that everyone’s mother had an easel in the basement and painted at night. Many years later, I was thinking back on those late nights and wondering why my mother had chosen to paint at night instead of during the day when it would have been easier on her. I will never forget her answer. She said, “I knew that raising a family was the most important thing I would do in this life, and I didn’t want the art to interfere with that. I also knew I needed the Lord’s help as an artist, and I could only expect him to do his part if I did mine. So I made a choice when I had children that I would only paint after I put you all in bed. I did my part, and the Lord did his.” I realized in that moment that Mother had spent a lifetime giving so quietly that I had never seen her late-night vigil as a sacrifice. Truly, those long, lonely hours were her legacy of faith. It is that same faith that runs in and through each one of her children. My mother’s trust in the Lord is woven into who we are and how we live.”


The wives of the area presidency led us in a wonderful meeting with talks, scriptures, and testimonies.  Sister Choi shared this painting with us along with times when she has received comfort from Christ, like Mary in the painting.




No comments:

Post a Comment